Sunday, July 31, 2011

Community Volunteers

In this post I want to talk about the community aspect of the Manitoulin Circle Project.


Every Thursday, the project is open to the public. I take boxes of cloth and thread to the United Church Hall in Little Current and am there all day. It's a drop in event, and so far, more than 90 different individuals have stitched on these panels. That in itself is a wonderful thing. So many hands. So many different hands. Meeting regularly with others in such a public project gives me discipline. I have a regular day each week to work on this project. As well, I have access to the large church hall, a studio with empty hard wood floors and large tables where it is possible to lay out the 90" works in progress, and set up the large quilt frame. Most of all, it has allowed me to be part of the local community in a way I absolutely love. I'm doing what I love to do, designing and hand stitching contemporary wall quilts, but even better, I'm doing it with friends. The women who have come on a regular basis have become close friends of mine and also close friends with each other. It is surprising to me, especially on Manitoulin Island where so many women quilt, that only a few of the project volunteers have prior experience with quilting. Most of the regulars are new to stitching. I'd like to take this opportunity to single out and thank a few of the most regular.

Heather Hutchinson and Wendy Gauthier have come the most faithfully. Both claim to be non-stitchers, but they have each helped with the embroidery and other sewing beautifully. Most of all, both have positive energy and give a good spirit to the day. Heather will take the project over for Thursday afternoons when I'm away and this kind of support is amazing.

Heather Thoma, Julia McCutcheon, and Karen Doughty are also very regular stitchers who come winter and summer. Heather because she believes in community so much, Julia because she believes in the project so much, and Karen because she feels it is a wonderful opportunity to learn a new craft and to meet people.

Judy Larimer, Cornelia Browne and Marian Hevel are summer residents on Manitoulin, during the winter they live in the United States. Judy is so supportive to the project and to me personally and says so to everyone she meets. We sign in each Thursday, and my record book has the names of everyone who has helped out, either through stitching or through donating linens, keeping the furnace going, moving the quilt frames, providing snacks. Thank you all very much. Thanks for coming out. Thanks for your support.

Thank you to the Manitoulin Expositor, the weekly local paper that every single week places an announcement under "coming events" that reminds the community that the project continues, what the hours are, and that they are most welcome.

I'd like to also thank Reverand Faye Stevens who was my initial support system and who keeps me inspired to keep going with it. She has a vision for a contemporary kind of church, one that is involved with the community in a variety of ways. Even though I rarely attend Little Current United Church, I feel part of it because of Reverand Faye, and also because of the choir, who practice on Thursday evenings and cheer me on. In fact, most of the congregation and the women of the UCW are interested and very supportive. Thank you.

It's interesting that the community aspect of these panels is what most people seem to be interested in. Even though I have personally poured hours and hours of my own time into the actual hand work, what people see is the group project.

I'm OK with that.

And PLEASE, feel welcome to drop in and join in anytime. There is at least another year of Thursdays ahead to complete all four of the panels.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful Project!
    Wonderful Artist!
    I plan to be more of a Regular in the coming year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic project! I wish I could drop in!

    ReplyDelete