Sunday, June 26, 2011

Manitoulin Circle Project

This blog gives me a space to write about a project that has consumed me for two years. I had hoped to make a pamphlet to hand out to people who ask about it.

: to tell how the project started
: to explain the meanings of the circle in square imagery
: to thank the members of the manitoulin community who have joined me in making these large meditation panels.

This initial post is just that. A place to start. Just setting up the template is all I can manage today. But it is more than I have been able to do for months, procrastinating about that pamphlet.

On my main blog, Judy's Journal, there is a label that connects all the work done so far on the manitoulin circle project. 40 entries. It is good, but I hope that this new blog will be more focused and will make the project clear to the unconvinced. Shall see.

For now, lets just say that I am very proud of what has been done so far. The work in these hand stitched panels is beautiful and meaningful and honours the domestic rituals that we grew up with and that women are responsible for maintaining.

Inspired by liturgical art, I hope that these panels will eventually hang together in a public space where people gather to meditate. Like a church. One more thing: This blog is a work in progress, and I will be editing it like I edit all my writing. Things might disappear. I'm publishing it as I do this because I want to be able to send interested people here to find out about it. Just as if I handed them a pamphlet.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea Judy. Nice to see them all in one place. They are wonderful to see in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Judy, It will be a pleasure to follow this, it is such a fine project

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, Thank you for this post. I'm undertaking a community multimedia project in 2012, and had been trying to figure out how to incorporate community stitching. This model may be perfect.

    ReplyDelete